Summertime is the perfect time for pool parties, picnics and barbecues with friends and family. But one of the hard things about entertaining is always the food prep. It usually involves so much chopping, cooking and sweating.
I love making a meal completely from scratch, but there are days when that is beyond me, especially when we are entertaining friends or taking our food somewhere, like the pool or a park. And, as much as I love getting take-out, some days you just want a home cooked meal to take along.
Last week, I stopped by HEB (our local grocery store) for a few extra ingredients for our weekly taco night, and picked up these delicious Aidells® meatballs.
When we were in France last summer, I made some Mediterranean-inspired tacos that were delicious, but I used a French sausage that I couldn't replicate here in the States. These Aidells® meatballs were the perfect replacement meat and really, really good. Plus, because the meatballs were pre-cooked, so the prep time was much faster!
Seriously, this is like a 30-minute meal. Just cook your peppers and onions, heat up your meatballs and tortillas, throw your sauce in a food processor for a quick spin and dinner is done! A healthy, filling and delicious meal in minutes!
I really love that Aidells® meat products have no nitrates, no MSG and have no artificial ingredients. If I am going to buy a pre-made product, or a meat product in general, that is what I look for. High quality, all-natural, and organic, if possible.
H-E-B currently has coupons for a bunch for Aidells® products, so if you live near an H-E-B, you should totally check them out! You can also find the coupon online, by going to the H-E-B website, choosing your local store, and searching for Aidells®.
Have you ever tried meatballs in a taco? If you haven't, you should definitely consider them! They are a pretty awesome addition to a taco!
You can find Aidells® lunchmeat in the refrigerated meat section with the natural and organic meats. The meatballs are in the section just next to it, by the natural prepared meats.
I am typically not a big fan of lunchmeat, but Aidells® lunchmeat was SUPER good! I ate it panini style on homemade hamburger buns with basil pesto and cream cheese... um, yes! So delicious!
Mediterranean Meatball Tacos:
1/2 head of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
1 Tbs olive oil
1 red bell pepper, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced, with tops and bottoms removed
1/4 cup feta cheese
8 flour tortillas
Sun-dried Tomato Dressing:
1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1. Get your peppers, onions and lettuce all ready to go.
2. Put the oil in the bottom of a large skillet and turn to medium heat. Add the onions and let them cook until they begin are translucent and softening. Stir occasionally, to keep them from browning.
3. Add the peppers, stir a few times, then cover with a lid for about 5 minutes to allow the peppers to soften.
4. Meanwhile, open your meatball package, put them in another frying pan. Heat them for 8-10 minutes, following package directions. I covered mine with a lid while they were cooking, to help them heat faster.
5. Throw all the dressing ingredients into a small food processor, or blender and blend until smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add a few tablespoons of milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
7. Heat your flour tortillas in the microwave, in a skillet or on a griddle, until they are warm.
8. Top tortillas with lettuce, your soft pepper mixture, feta cheese, meatballs and dressing. Enjoy!
All in all, a number of dirty dishes, but a terrifically delicious result that is sure to wow family and friends! If you make this dish (or anything else from my site), I would love to see in on Instagram! Just tag me in the photos and label it #measureandwhisk!
Save this recipe for later! Pin the image below!