If you regularly visit my blog, you will know that I did a capsule wardrobe over the summer. I wanted to do a little recap about my experience, because I think I learned a few things about my dressing habits that I hadn't known.
1. I wear the same shoes all the time, and never get tired of them. I like having a lot of pairs of shoes, but I tend to go back to the same ones over and over again. I could probably own 6 pairs of shoes for the rest of my life and never look back. I don't think I ever missed a pair of shoes that I left in storage.
2. A good pair of jeans goes a long way. In preparation for my capsule, I bought 2 pairs of Madewell jeans from ThredUp. I don't know if they are the most amazing pair of jeans I have ever own, but I really like them. They fit well, they are comfortable, and the high waisted pair is great for mom life.
3. Although I like to wear the same few shirts over and over again, I like having a decent variety to choose from, because I do step outside the box pretty often. I was surprised at how often I wished I had more shirt choices. I did have a few shirts that I was always thrilled to wear, but some of them I wore a lot because I didn't have any other options.
As a subpoint to this one, layering is key to making a capsule wardrobe interesting enough. I think I would have done better had I done a fall or winter capsule instead of a summer one. I ended up just wearing a lot of cute light tops, so I didn't get too hot.
4. I also wished I had brought more skirts and dresses. I brought two skirts and two dresses, and that really wasn't enough. I do wear a skirt to church every week though, so if your lifestyle doesn't involve a weekly reason to dress up, you probably don't need more than two of each.
5. I like pattern. I had picked a lot of neutrals and a few solid colors, and I was surprised at how much I missed layering, and patterns. If I did another capsule, I would pick more textured items, and more patterns.
Overall, I am glad I did one. It was a good experience, and this summer was the perfect opportunity to try it out. That being said, I don't know that I will do one again. I will probably keep my clothing options smallish, and continue to rotate my clothing out with the season changes (I get to do that in a few weeks when the weather changes, and I can't wait!!!).
I am a little disappointed that I didn't like it more (I guess I feel like I should have loved it), and wonder if I should try it again now that it will start cooling off in the next month. But, knowing me, I probably won't.
Did you do a capsule wardrobe this year? Have you considered doing one? I would love to hear your thoughts!