Defining your personal style is super scary. When I first read "The Curated Closet," she mentioned writing a style statement, and my first thought was, "well, I am not doing that." But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to have a written statement to refer to, particularly in times of weakness, when you are confronted with something cheap, or trendy, or whatever.
I have often been the culprit of a sale item that I liked in the store, but never got worn, because it didn't fit with anything else in my closet, or I just bought it because it was a good deal (except that it wasn't, because I almost never wore it). So, I have defined what my personal style looks like right now, and if it changes over time, that is cool, too! I am okay with that, but for now, I can stick to the kinds of things that will fit well in my existing closet.
I am calling my "Classic Casual."
- "Classic Casual" is all about being stylish and comfortable as a mom, every day of the year. Pieces are not fussy, and can be easily played in and cooked in.
- Main staples include long sleeve button-down shirts, high-waisted skinny denim, tee-shirts with fun details, and lots of stripes.
- Fabrics include lots of natural fabrics like 100% cotton, linen, wool and denim. I also like a good amount of lace.
- Style is usually loose on top, fitted on bottom, or vise versa.
- Pants include a high waisted skinny jean, skinny chino style, and flared jeans. Skirts are typically a stretchy pencil skirt, or a flared/pleated skirt.
- Shirts are typically a casual button-down, v-neck or scoop neck tee, or something with a lacey element.
- I am loving slouchy sweaters over a button down, or tee.
- Colors include shades of blue, black and grey, white, sage and emerald green, rust, tan, bright pink and red.
- My ideal outfit, is a chambray button down with grey skinnies, and booties.
Also, here is my color palette, so you can get an idea of colors that I have in my closet. ANuschka Rees has a bunch of sample color palettes here, if you are interested in figuring out your own.