Planning Your Menu:
Each week, I go to the grocery store with a list that looks like this on one side:
On the reverse side of my grocery list, I make 3 other categories of things to I need to know before going to the store. First, I start with a list of stuff to use up. All my extra veggies, maybe I have an old can of beans that I only used half of, or I made a curry sauce that didn't all get used up. Next, I write down a list of different types of meals that we could have (see the 3rd pink item on this list), and then at the top of the page, as I find them, I write down the actual meals for the week. I like having the menu for the week at the top of the page, because it makes it easy to find when I post the menu on my fridge when I get back from the store.
Here is an example of what a week would look like:
A few of the categories that I use with my favorites for each one:
(you can check out my Main Dish Pinterest board for more ideas)
- Chipotle tacos - I skipped the part where you put the whole tortilla and all the toppings in the oven and just served with in a tortilla with ranch on top.
- Charred Corn Tacos with Zucchini Slaw - I left out the radish
- Ham and cheese Pizza Rolls - I used pizza dough and pepperoni and cheese
- Pear and Mustard Panini's - We do pretty much any white cheese we have and stone ground mustard.
- Chickpea and Carrot Salad - I use peanuts instead of cashews.
- Italian Pasta with Tomato Pesto and Sun dried Tomato Pesto(With this one, I make my own sun dried tomato pesto, but you can buy it at the store)
- Sweet Potato, Gouda and Bacon Soup - I make this without the mushrooms
- Chickpea Curry - made this with regular rice and yellow curry paste
- Yellow Thai Curry over Rice - I like to put in carrots, onions, potatoes and chicken.
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Curry - I leave out the currents
- Thai Chicken Wraps with peanut sauce
Happy cooking! Your kitchen will love you!